Summer Comes at Last

Summer Comes at Last
Busy Bee

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mini Family Reunion

I just got back from a "mini" family reunion in Iowa.  I met a 2nd cousin for the 1st time whom I've corresponded with beginning back in 1978!  He lives on a "Century Farm" in Iowa and has a great interest in family. Our great grandfather came from Norway. My cousin is Lutheran, and the other side of my paternal family, the Olson's were Quakers. He gave me copies of many photographs of our common ancestors and brought with him artifacts made by our great grandfather. He and his wife drove 5 hours to be with us from their farm in northwest Iowa.  It was an incredible experience.  He also gave me a copy of a book entitled "Family Reunion, Essays on Iowa" which was written in 1995 for the 150th anniversary of the state of Iowa joining the Union.  My cousin wrote one of the essays in the book. Ken and I had a wonderful time.  My brother Randy and his family drove up from Texas also.  I hadn't seen him in over 9 years.  I hadn't seen some of my other cousins for over 25 years.  I don't get back to Iowa enough.  Maybe I can upload some pics later.  For now, I'm getting ready for another trip, as I'm flying to SC on Sunday to help Becky and her family, as she broke her leg. (Another long story in itself.)  I have tons of laundry to catch up on before I leave, but wanted to pop in with a tidbit of what has been happening with us.

1 comment:

lowrain said...

Wow, what a wonderful trip you must have had. I am sure your mind is full and your heart is filled. I was sorry to hear about Becky. That will be very difficult with 3 little ones or is it two? Either way NO GOOD.
Safe trip. Tell Becky hello and get better quick.