Summer Comes at Last

Summer Comes at Last
Busy Bee

Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Little Bit of This- A Little Bit of That

We have quite a few things going on that I will mention briefly.  First, our goldfish went nuts out in our pond a couple of months ago and now we have TONS of baby goldfish out there.  We are catching them and have over 2 dozen in a small (2 gallon) fish tank here in the house.  They are the cutest little things! Some only 1/2 inch long or so.  They vary in size, so apparently our fish had some fun several different times. Ken works with some women who have ponds and they both have said that they would like some.  (One accidently overdosed her pond with something or other and all of her fish died.) 


I had to put some netting over the bubbler opening, because they were getting sucked up into the plastic gizmo.  They weren't hurt though, just stuck in it.

Next item-- For 8 years we have put up with little tiny rocks in our water.  We have a well and the water is great - except for the rocks which clog up our aerators in the faucets and my washing machine. 
This is what they look like.
Aerator from the sink in my half bath.  It gets many rocks because it is the closest to the water pressure tank in the garage.


Sink bottom as it appears after blasting water out without the aerator on.
 Today Ken is doing something about it!! We could have done this sooner, but the rocks have gotten worse lately.  He went down to the "Big Box Store" aka  Home Depot and bought a whole house filter that he is, as I speak, out in the garage installing.  He also had to buy copper pipe.  Holy Cow is copper expensive!  (Which explains why some folks in our neighborhood have had pipes ripped out of their homes while they've been away!) But that is a story for another day.

I'm so blessed to be married to such a handyman.  He isn't finished but here are some pics I've taken.  He called our neighbor this morning giving them a warning about shutting off the water this afternoon sometime.  In case you don't know, the builder of our homes out here doubled up homes sharing a common well.  I don't know who else is in this situation for sure.  We have the pressure tank in our garage and shut off valves for our home and theirs also.  The builder installed an electric meter which shows how much electricity is used that we pay for, but it is neglible and we don't "charge" our neighbors for the electricity.  Anyway, back to the story.  Here is my hubby hard at work so far.




I'll post more when it is all finished.  I'll be so happy to rid of those pesky rocks!  (It is so nice not to have a water and sewer bill however).

4 comments:

Brian said...

Hey looks like fun! I spent many an hour in our basement a year ago sweating copper and running new lines for the deep sink we put in. I don't envy you!

Good luck with the rock removal!

lowrain said...

The fish are darling.
Boy every place we live poses it's different challenges. Earth Life, I personally love it even with all the ??????
Thank you for sharing your wonderful son with our family, especially me. He is always so good to me when I visit. Talk about answers to prayer, but this time God went over the top.

Sandra said...

Aw shucks. Thanks for the compliment about Brian. We think he is pretty great ourselves. (Don't tell him though, we don't want him to get a big head now, do we?)

Katie said...

I sure am grateful that the "handyman" gene runs in the family! I know it is a life saver for us!!!
Cute fish! How fun to have your little pond our back.