Summer Comes at Last

Summer Comes at Last
Busy Bee

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Minature quilts

I was introduced to miniature quilts while living in Reno.  The largest quilt I've ever made would fit a twin bed.  It is hard for me to handle so much fabric when making large quilts, although I have plans to make a quilt that will fit my king-size bed.  So I really like the small ones.  My most recent project is about 9 inches square and is a small, appliqued  Christmas quilt.  I was hoping to have it finished for this past Christmas, but I just finished hand quilting and binding it last night. 


The pattern is from a book that I have from the award winning quilter, Zena Thorpe.  She is primarily known for her applique techniques.

She was the featured quilter at a quilt show in Reno in 2001.  I bought her little book and have now made 2 of the quilts in it.

FYI Her featured quilt that year was about 8 feet by 10 feet and was intricately appliqued in a complex Celtic theme with many narrow scroll shaped features.  I can't even begin to describe it, but she was the 1st place winner at a major quilt show in KY and had turned down $10,000 so that she could retain possession of it.

Here is the cover of her book with pictures of all 8 of her minature quilts.
I'd like to make all of her quilts.  Which one should I make next?
Let me know which one you like best and I'll make the one that gets the most votes. 

No comments: