Find Ken
Today is Veterans Day and I want to thank my wonderful husband Ken for being willing to serve his country in the United States Navy. Here is a picture taken of him while while he was at the Great Lakes Training Center in Illinois as a new recruit. He is in the second row from the top on the left side. I met him as he was beginning his training. We lived in Iowa at the time and he hitched a ride home almost every weekend so that we could spend some time together. I don't think that he got much sleep!
Both of my brothers retired from the Navy after 20 years and my dad was a WWII Army vet, as was Ken's dad and his mom was an Army nurse. (She and Ken's dad met while serving in the Aleutian Islands in Alaska during WWII. The family joke is that she out ranked him. He was a 2nd Lieutenant and she was a 1st Lieutenant). Ken's brother served in the Air Force.
We also have a niece who is in the Army right now. Some of our closest friends served also. Ken and I both lost classmates during the Vietnam War.
As the saying goes. "Freedom is not free."
Thanks to all of our veterans for keeping our wonderful country free.

3 comments:
I found dad right away! What a handsome young man. No wonder you were smitten, mom! I am grateful to have a long legacy of veterans in my family.
I didn't scroll down to read which good looking young man was Ken until after I had found him. I will say it took me a little bit. I really enjoyed the pictures and the guess which one game!
What a wonderful legacy of freedom fighters you have in your family tree.
Thank you for your honorable service to our country Ken.
Thanks for serving dad! Your service is not unnoticed or forgotten. When I mentioned it was Veteran's Day on Friday to Mitchell, he wanted to call Padapa and thank him for his service, but it wasn't late enough Pacific time and he would have been at work still. But Mitchell thought of it and I was impressed
Post a Comment