Summer Comes at Last

Summer Comes at Last
Busy Bee

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Red Mushrooms Amanita Muscaria


On my way up the driveway after retrieving the garbage and recycling cans, I glanced down on the ground under the Western Red Cedar and Hemlock trees that grow next to our driveway.  I spotted an interesting mushroom that I had never seen before. I picked it up and brought it into the house to do a little research.  Turns out that it is a Amanita Muscaria. They can make you inebriated or make you vomit if eaten raw, but according to the information I read, are delicious if parboiled in thin slices in a lot of water for 15 minutes.  I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it though. Let me know if you have ever seen one of these.
The picture at the top is the one I picked and the photo on the bottom is an Internet photo.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I have never seen one...but they sure are beautiful!

Sandra said...

They are an hallucinogenic and poisonous. The bright colors sort of show that I think. If you look them up on the Internet, you'll see lots of information. Some call them "Magic Mushrooms".